Podcast Season 4 Episode 3
Title: The Guild of Linux Podcasters
In this episode: Raspberry Pi is out, and sold out. Mozilla kicks Boot to Gecko into game. OpenSUSE annoys Linus Torvalds and Canonical has announced a smartphone/PC mashup. Learn about Cheetahs, secret smartphones and your own opinions in our infamous Open Ballot.
What's in the show:
- Nearly New! Lightning News:
Raspberry Pi is out, and sold out. Mozilla is building Boot to Gecko, a smartphone environment for its web platform. Linus Torvalds has slammed OpenSUSE for its intrusive use of passwords. Microsoft's cloud thing suffered a long outage the other day. Canonical has announced an Android PC/screen mobile mashup. And NetMarketShare says Linux is the fastest growing desktop on the planet.
- Discovery of the week:
- The UK-specific Humax HDR satellite receiver has an excellent community-built custom firmware that has been recently upgraded to include a web-based package manager and remote recording/viewing.
- BBC iPlayer on Android's Market now carries live broadcasts.
- Port knocking through a firewall is very cool (great docs on the Arch wiki).
- Cheetahs can not retract their claws.
- Rants and Raves
We play a rant from Ian Barton, and Andrew raves about you all, dear listeners.
- Speak Your Brains:
Great selection this episode, thanks for your contributions! To help Gwilym Kuiper with his survey, follow this link: http://bit.ly/xhB5TO.
If you'd like this section to continue, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Open Ballot: Ubuntu, the next Apple?
- Check to see if we're still on Facebook here.
- Special offer: subscribe to Linux Format magazine and save lots
Presenters: Ben Everard, Andrew Gregory, Efrain Hernandez-Mendoza, Graham Morrison and Jonathan RobertsOgg Vorbis and MP3.
USA listeners can subscribe to Linux Format magazine from here, http://tinyurl.com/lxfoffer, whilst then rest of us can use the following link - http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/content/lp/linuxformat.
Digital Editions: Linux Format is available on both Apple's iPhone/iPad/Touch and Android devices through Zinio. Only print subscribers get access to our complete collection of DRM-free PDFs and early access to the latest issue.
Theme Music by Brad Sucks.