Nexuiz 2.5 pumps up Linux gaming
If anyone tells you that Linux gaming is all about Nethack, show them Nexuiz. This ace-looking first person shooter has just been updated to version 2.5, with a whopping 3,000 changes to the code, graphics and sounds since 2.4. We've long been fans of Unreal Tournament here at TuxRadar HQ -- so we'll certainly be putting this through its paces. Our hardcore gamer chums over at Phoronix are highly impressed: "We have been trying out this release since it was announced today, and to say the least, Nexuiz 2.5 is stunning. This is really the best open-source first person shooter we have ever played." Summary of the biggest changes follows.
- Completely redone HUD and user adjustable scoreboard
- New weapons (on-hand Grappling Hook, Port-O-Launch, T.A.G. Seeker, Heavy Laser Assault Cannon, Rifle)
- New game mode, Race: get to the end of a level as quickly as possible
- Support for video capture to OggTheora
- Map editor NetRadiant included
- Bots can swim, climb ladders, and use less CPU time