Best Linux distro for an IBM ThinkPad T22
Q Can you make any suggestions for a distro on a laptop, an IBM T22 with 256MB of RAM? I have tried the Live CD Damn Small Linux and it works great with my Winmodem. I would like to install it to the hard drive. Any suggestions?
A IBM laptops are well supported by most Linux distros, because IBM provides the information and driver code that they need. Most Live CD distros have a hard disk install option, including Damn Small Linux, although this is probably not the best choice for you. DSL is really intended to be used as a Live CD, and keeping a hard disk version up to date would need work. I would recommend you try a number of Live CD distros and pick the one that detects all your hardware and you like best. Alternatives include:
- This gives you a modified Debian system when installed. www.knoppix.com
- Both are based on Debian: the former uses the Gnome desktop while the latter has KDE. www.ubuntu.com
- A Live CD that installs to hard disk and provides easy updates. www.pclinuxos.com
- Another Debian-based Live CD with one of the easiest installations I've seen. http://kanotix.com
- Best Linux distro for a USB flash drive?
- Best Linux distro for information kiosks?
- Looking for a lightweight Linux distro
- Best Linux distro for a Seagate hard drive?
- Best Linux distro with 64-bit support